Center for Irrigation Technology, Fresno State
Graduate Research Assistant
2014 - 2018
Undergraduate Research Assistant
2011 - 2014
- Graduate Research Assistant
University of California, Merced
PhD Student, Environmental Systems
2018 - present
Fresno State University
Plant Science/Soil-Water Management,
Fresno State University
Plant Science/Crop Production Management,
- University Graduate Medalist, Fresno State, 2017
- Outstanding Thesis Award, Jordan College of Agricultural Science and Technology, Fresno State, 2017
- Certificate of Academic Achievement, Education Opportunity Program, Fresno State, 2017
- All-University Graduate Student Leadership Award, Fresno State, 2017
- Dean Medalist, Jordan College School of Agricultural Science and Technology, 2017
- 2nd Place Graduate Student Poster Competition, CA Chapter of American Society of Agronomy, 2017
- Research and Creative Activities Support Award, CSU Fresno, 2016
- Gerald O. Mott Meritorious Graduate Student Award, American Society of Agronomy-Crop Science Society of America, Soil Science Society of America (ASA-CSSA-SSSA), 2016
- 1st Place Graduate Student Poster Competition, CA Chapter of American Society of Agronomy, 2016
- National Award Winner, Evapotranspiration Measurement and Modeling Community, American Society of Agronomy, 2015
- Irrigation E3 Learner, Irrigation Association, 2014
- Assemblyman Jim Patterson’s Agriculture Science Students of the Year Award, 2014
- Certificate of Recognition, Fresno County Farm Bureau, 2014
- Certificate of Appreciation, United States Department of Agriculture, 2014
- Undergraduate Student Achievement Award, Department of Plant Science, CSU Fresno, 2014
- Standard Bearer, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, CSU Fresno, 2014
- Dean’s Medalist Nominee, Department of Plant Science, CSU Fresno, 2014
- National Student Recognition Award, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, 2014
- Golden Opportunity Scholar, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, 2013
- EOP Summer Bridge - Counselor & Peer Mentor, Guardian of the Legacy Award, 2009
- EOP Summer Bridge - Peer Mentor, Hard Working Award, 2009
Scholarships and Grants
- Ag One-25th Anniversary Ed Rose Scholarship, 2016
- Ag One-Fraysher Scholarship, 2016
- Ag One-Lowell A Jordan & Jorda Scholarship, 2016
- Ag One-Jack Woolf Scholarship, 2015 & 2016
- Student Scholarship, California Irrigation Institute, 2016
- Graduate Net Initiative Research Fellowship, CSU Fresno, 2015
- Jensen Scholarship, 2013 & 2015
- Valley Grower Local Sunweet Grant, 2013
- Ag One-Dr Marinus Van Elswyk Grant, 2013
- Ag One-Dick Markarian Grant, 2012
- CA Cotton Alliance Scholarship, 2012
- Ronald McNair Research Grant, 2012
- Undergraduate Research Grant, 2011
- General Dillingham Scholarship, 2011
- CAST Scholarship, 2011
MS Thesis: Developing Crop Coefficient (Kc) for Sugar Beet (Beta Vulgaris) under Drip Irrigation System Using Weighing Lysimeter.
Proceedings and Abstracts
- Thao, T., F. Cassel S., D. Goorahoo, and J. Ayars (2018). Crop Water Requirement of Irrigated Sugarbeet Grown in the Central Valley. Paper to be submitted to the Journal of Agricultural Water Management.
- Goorahoo, D., J. Samano-Monroy, F. Cassel S., T. Thao, G. Seepersad. 2017. Nitrate leaching index for surface drip- irrigated cauliflower fertilized with organic soybean meal. HortScience 52(9): S414-415. Supplement—2017 ASHS Annual Conference.
- Cassel S., F., T. Thao, and D. Goorahoo. 2017. Influence of growing degree days on the crop water use of processing tomato. HortScience 52(9): S447. Supplement—2017 ASHS Annual Conference
- Thao, T., F. Cassel S., A. Mele, D. Goorahoo, and J. Ayars. (2017). Influence of Growing Degree Days on Sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris) Evapotranspiration and Crop Coefficient. Poster presentation at the California Chapter of the American Society of Agronomy, Fresno, CA. 2nd Place Graduate Student Poster Winner
- Goorahoo, D., A.Unc, C. McCall, J. Samano-Monroy, F.Cassel S, T. Thao, and G. Seepersad. (2016) AirJection Irrigation Mitigates Denitrification and Leaching. Oral presentation at the Irrigation Show & Education Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Touyee Thao, Florence Cassel S, Dave Goorahoo, David Zoldoske, and Anthony Mele. Nitrogen and Water Use Efficiencies in Drip-Irrigated Sugarbeet. 2016 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Eric R. Kent, Richard L. Snyder, Janae Clay, Cayle Little, Touyee Thao, Florence Cassel Sharma, Blake Sanden, Daniele Zaccaria. Measurement-based Actual Evapotranspiration in Pistachio Orchards Under Varying Soil Salinity. Climate Change, Water, and Society IGERT 2016 State of the Science & Policy Workshop, Davis, CA.
- Touyee Thao, Florence Cassel S, Dave Goorahoo, Jim Ayars, and Shawn Ashkan. Evaluating Crop Water Requirements for Sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris) under Drip Irrigation. 2016 California Plant and Soil Conference, Visalia, CA. 1st Place Graduate Student Poster Winner
- Florence Cassel S., Touyee Thao, Dave Goorahoo, Josue Samano and David Zoldoske. An Integrated Approach to Energy Beet Production in California. 2015 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Touyee Thao, Florence Cassel S. Dave Goorahoo, and Shawn Ashkan. Lysimetric Measurements of Evapotranspiration for Drip-Irrigated Crops. 2015 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Conference, Minneapolis, MN. National award winner for student oral presentation
- Josue Samano, Dave Goorahoo, Florence Cassel S., and Touyee Thao. “Nitrogen Leaching Potential for Cauliflower (Brassica oleraceae var. botrytis) Grown with UAN32 and an Organic Fertilizer.” 2015 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Dave Goorahoo, Florence Cassel S., Touyee Thao, Forrest Melton & Lee Johnson. An Integrated Lysimeter and Satellite Imagery Approach for Estimating Crop Evapotranspiration. 2014 AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Cassel S. Florence, Thao Touyee, and Goorahoo Dave. Updated Evapotranspiration Estimates and Crop Coefficients to improve Irrigation Scheduling in Sub-Surface Drip Irrigated Vegetable Systems. 2014 Irrigation Association Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Touyee Thao, Florence Cassel Sharma, Dave Goorahoo, and Charles Cochran. New Evapotranspiration Estimates and Crop Coefficients for Optimizing Sub-Surface Drip Irrigation Scheduling. 2014 ASA-CSSA-SSSA Conference, Long Beach, CA. 2014 CSU, Agricultural Research Institute, Pomona, CA.
- Dehghanmanshadi, B., F. Cassel Sharma, and D. Goorahoo, and T. Thao. 2013. Optimizing Water Use Efficiency of Tomato Under Subsurface Irrigation with ET model. Soil and Water Conservation Society, Reno, NV. CSU-Water Resources and Policy Initiative, Long Beach, CA and San Francisco, CA. 2014 Water Technology Conference, Clovis, CA.
- Meiyue Wang, Touyee Thao, Dave Goorahoo, and Dennis Bacon. 2012. Effect of Organic and UAN-32 Fertilization on Bok Choy and Soil Properties. California Chapter-American Society of Agronomy – Plant and Soil Conference, Visalia, CA.
- Touyee Thao and Dave Goorahoo. 2012. Effect of Organic and UAN-32 Fertilization on Bok Choy Yield and Soil Properties. 33rd Annual Central California Research Symposium, Fresno CA and 4th Annual Water Resources and Policy Initiatives, Sacramento, CA